Monday 9 July 2012

Pillow Talk: Penelope Chilvers

Penny "tickled pink" in her POPLIN Iris Classic PJs


Penelope Chilvers is a great British brand. The eponymous designer first conquered the riding boot, transforming it into a fashion staple that only improves with age, going on to add more treasures each season. Today the brand offers a wonderful selection of shoes and accessories. I got a pair of her dandy slippers for Christmas this year and know stylish women of all ages who swear by her classics with a twist. 






What else is on your wish list from POPLIN? 
I love the Marlene Short Pyjamas, they remind me of my favourite childhood sweet- the humble humbug. I also think they'd look rather dapper with a pair of our black velvet monogrammed Dandy's. 


Are you an owl or a lark? Late sleeper? Early riser?... 
Definitely an early riser. Living by the motto 'the early bird catches the worm', I work better in the mornings, finding clarity with a new dawn. I prefer to be in my POPLIN pyjamas with a mug of cocoa by 10pm. 


If you weren't a shoe designer you would be...? 
A designer of something else and a horse rider in my spare time. I recently joined the El Rocio pilgrimage- a procession to the Hermitage of El Rocio in the countryside of Andalusia, Spain in honour of the Virgin of El Rocio. Pilgrims wear traditional dress and travel on horseback, foot or by cart. The women look stunning riding side saddle in their Spanish boots and voluminous flamenco skirts. It's such a romantic vision. 


Pet hate? 
Air conditioning- I like fresh air, even in tropical heat. 


Guilty pleasure? 
Tirelessly collecting bits of fabric and hoarding them in a cupboard, just in case... 


What's your best quality? 
My ability to find inspiration from the most unusual things, people and places. An idea for a new collection can spring from the most extraordinary or ordinary thing I've seen and develop into something visually exciting that's both wearable and unique. 






Favourite thing to... 
Cook in your pyjamas? 
I prefer to be served breakfast in bed, rather than cook it myself! 


Read in your pyjamas? 
I love to read anthropological travel books, just before bed is the perfect time. Then I dream about exploring far away places... 


Listen to in your pyjamas? 
TED lectures from my laptop. 


We're really enjoying reading about your travels on your "Private Adventure" blog. So... 
Best hotel bed you've ever slept in? 
One of my favourites is Riad el-Fenn in Marrakech. 
[See POPLIN's visual diary from Marrakech, here and here.]




Top 3 suitcase essentials? 
- If I'm travelling to sunnier climes, my leather flat espadrilles are the first thing I pack- I have them in so many different colours! 
- A pair of cotton POPLIN pyjamas, and if I'm a guest I don't mind going down to breakfast in these. 
- And a notebook or my blackberry to document the exciting things I'll inevitably see. 


What's inspiring you for your next collection? Give us a sneak preview.
I've used woven wool fabrics to make winter espadrilles, boots and a rucksack for that "go anywhere, do anything" vagabond traveller vibe. The mix of textures in the wool, worked leathers and woven hemp work beautifully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment